Thursday, March 02, 2006

I have TITS too

Well Michelle continues to write about our progress and in general, very accurately too. Unfortunately I don't get as much TITS (Time In The Saddle) as she does, partly because I travel with work and partly because i am now suffering from a lung infection which leaves me short of breath. But although her TITS are much better than mine I have pretty good TITS too.

I am told by the Doctor that I can still ride gentle rides and should be clear well before the ride. Nothing is stopping me from going as far as I am concerned.

What I have noticed, being a fat arse in comparison to many we have been riding with lately, with the weight difference being 40kilos on many we have met, is that regardless of the TITS the extra weight is a real burden when tackling hills. I can match most with on road flat and undulating road speed but consistent hills make me suffer and ultimately the legs just give up.

Hating to admit it, I have had to pull out of a couple of Kings Park rides because of lack of hill climbing ability. What I am finding is that TITS doesn't necessarily prepare you for the hills.

That being said and having driven the route I am pretty comfortable that there isn't a hill along the way that I can't walk up and still make the distance well within a reasonable time frame. We are now averaging about 22km per hour (including hills) and there isn't a day that presents itself as being unconquerable at that rate.

The other benefit is that whereas I have been spectacularly unsuccessful in completing 2 circuits of Kings Park in a ride so far there are no days I recollect on driving the route where there is hill after hill after hill with little or no respite.

I have plenty of experience of being able to manage pretty significant hills and with some coasting on the other side and some flat have been able to manage the next hill 2 or 3km away.

So the spirits remain high, the lung still has to heal but that shouldn't take long and with 2 more weeks to go there is still a fair amount of TITS to be had.

I am already visualising the final ride into Perth and the sense of achievement having ridden for 14 days, more than 850km and shared some amazing experiences with some wonderful people.

Michelle and I can see a lot more TITS in our future and are currently planning a 4 week cycling tour of Vietnam in February 2007.

That of course will be on our new flat bar touring bikes we will buy after the headt experience of the GWABR. This continues to be so much fun and is developing into a lifestyle rather than a journey.

1 Comments:

At March 07, 2006 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure you don't end up with Seven Hours In The Saddle. It can be quite distressing!

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home